Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Gobi - 65
Gobi or cauliflower has a very unique taste and flavor.Unlike other vegetables,we do not use much in our south Indian cooking.But,to my surprise I recently got to know that gobi 65 originated in Tamilnadu.Wow!!!!It became one more reason for me to try this dish in my kitchen(other reason being it was the only remaining vegetable at home;)) and it tasted soooo yummy.... So,here is my version of gobi-65!!!!It goes well for parties and potluck.It will be a sure hit:)))
1) Cauliflower florets - 1 1/2 cup
2) Corn flour - 3/4th cup
3) All purpose flour(maida) - 3tblsp
4) Soy sauce - 1tsp
5) Ginger garlic paste - 1tblsp
6) Coriander cumin powder - 1tblsp
7) Dry mango powder or vinegar - 1tsp
8) Black salt(optional) - a pinch
9) Orange color(optional) - a pinch
10) Red chilly powder - 1tblsp or to taste
11) Hot sauce(optional) - 2tsp
12) Salt to taste
13) Pepper powder to taste
14) Oil for deep frying
15) Fresh coriander leaves and lemon wedges for garnish
1) Oil - 2tblsp
2) Finely chopped onions - 1/2 cup
3) Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
4) green chillies - 1 to 2
5) curry leaves - few
6) hot sauce - 1tsp
7) Garam masala powder - 1tsp
Firstly,par cook the florets in boiling water.Drain it and set aside.If you want to do it for dinner it is advisable to do this process during the noon time,idea is to totally drain the florets.
Mix all the coating ingredients in a mixing bowl.Add the florets and gently coat them.Do not add water,the leftover moisture in the florets itself will help the flour to stick to it.Heat oil for frying these florets.Deep fry them until crispy and golden brown in color,drain excess oil on a kitchen towel.
In a another pan.Pour oil and saute the onions till translucent.Now,add one by one of the tempering ingredients to the pan and saute each ingredient for a minute or two.Lovely aroma starts to some out.This is the time to add the fried florets to the pan.Saute carefully the florets(so that they do not loose their shape)for 5 more minutes or until everything incorporates well with each other.
Just before serving garnish with fresh coriander leaves and squeeze some lime.
Hot gobi 65 is ready!!!! Enjoy it with some ketchup or have it just by itself.